Welcome to my personal webpage!
I'm tenure-track Assistant Professor (RTDb) of theoretical physics in the gravity group at Sapienza University of Rome and a FCT Research Scientist at CENTRA - IST, Lisbon (PT).
Disponibilita' dissertazioni, tesi magistrali e di dottorato. Gli studenti interessati sono invitati a contattarmi per discutere possibili progetti.
My Curriculum Vitae (last update on the pdf)
My outreach blog: "The Gravity Room".
- Apr 2017: Richard Brito won the Prémio Abreu Faro for the best PhD thesis. The ceremony will be on May 23rd. Kudos Richard!
- Mar 2017: Sabine Hossenfelder has made an interesting coverage of gravitational-wave echoes
- Mar 2017: our paper "Testing Strong Gravity with Tidal Love Numbers" has been selected as an Editor Suggestion in PRD
- Jan 2017: the piece "Linking Waves to Particles" by V. Cardoso and myself features the Jan/Feb 2017 Special Issue of CERN Courier on the discovery of gravitational waves
- Dec 2016: my student Elisa Maggio defended her master thesis and graduated with maximum marks!
- 10 Dec 2016: our work on gravitational-wave echoes from quantum corrections at the horizon scale was covered in Nature News and in Le Scienze, following this paper that claim to have found evidence of echoes in LIGO data [see also our original work here]
- 26 Sept 2016: my students Nicola Franchini and Laura Sberna obtained a master degree with maximum marks!
- 12 Sept 2016: I've been awarded the 2016 SIGRAV Prize! The ceremony was held at the XXII SIGRAV Conference in Cefalu' and covered by Media INFN.
- Sept 2016: I will give a series of lectures on Gravitational Waves at the EAG8 School in Lisbon and at the Invisible16 School, at SISSA. Some material can be found here.
- 27 April 2016: the paper "Is the Gravitational-Wave Ringdown a Probe of the Event Horizon?" by Cardoso, Franzin, Pani was selected as Editors' Suggestion by Physical Review Letters and features the cover of PRL Vol. 116, Iss. 17 — 29 April 2016. The paper was covered by the NewScientist, Physics World, Media INAF, Phys.org, APS Physics, by the Italian newspaper Repubblica, and by the French newspaper Le Monde.
PHYSICS IS LIKE SEX: SURE, IT MAY GIVE SOME PRACTICAL RESULTS, BUT THAT'S NOT WHY WE DO IT. - RICHARD FEYNMANN